A couple of months ago I decided that I wanted to make myself a hat. My first attempt was an absolute disaster. I'll try and dig it up soon and post a pix for a few giggles, but for now it remains buried deep in a big box. Let just say that I thought that a small plastic bowl would make a great hat form. It didn't.
A couple of weeks ago I located several types of wire. Too soft, too hard, too heavy. Finally I found one that I could use. Money is close to non-existant in this house so I tried to use materials that I had on hand.
I wanted my hat to match a skirt that I had purchased from our local Salvation Army. It was a an orangey pink color and a bit iridescent in just the right light. It appears mostly orange in most photos. The fabric I wanted to use was a bit too brown in color so I mixed pink and tangeringe RIT dye until I hit on just the right blend.
I found a remnant of very bright turn of the century velvet and dyed it to match. So far so good. Later I used it for the brim.
I spread out my jewelry tools and started twisting and snipping, creating two seperate shapes, the top of the hat and a seperate brim. I had planned to sew the entire hat together but started to run out of time. I decided to break out the old trusty glue gun in order to cut a few corners and covered the bottom of the brim in cheap craft store felt.
Carefully I added 3 clip on hair combs to the bottom in order to keep the hat securely on my big head. Later they worked like a charm and did a wonderful job of keeping my hat. Even if my hat did wind up tilted and askew from the beginning of the evening. Hubby? Why did you let me walk around like that all night pray tell? I'm not complaining though. Not really. When it really comes down to it, my beloved husband is really my stylist.
A little antique lace and a favorite antique bauble, and it was complete. I was actually happy and pleased with the end result. It wan't all smooth sailing that's for sure. Whatever you do, don't look closely, lol. Somehow I cut the fabric that went around the hat too short and I had a big gap to deal with. My edges are all crazy and crooked. The hat turned out to be quite a bit more weighty than I would have liked.
But considering that I didn't follow an intructions or anything I am kind of proud of myself for once. I do believe that I will make a 3rd attempt. Only this time I will research a few things beforehand in order for future hats to evolve. I'm just glad that I didn't give up after my first hat fiasco!